Sunday 29 December 2013

Research time (part 1: the smart research)

Its research time for my Fake Essex History animation project, and first I started to look at Horrible Histories with the Rotten Romans to basically give me a quick history lesson of the Roman Emperor in Britannia in the first century .

Horrible Histories








Then, I started to look at Time Team episodes from Essex, I was much inspired from the Colchester episode on how the Romans did in the first century and explain more on Colchester in the first century.

Time Team (Colchester)



Time Team (Southend)




Then, I watched the 1980′s TV show Chelmsford 123. The series was set in the Essex town of Chelmsford in the year AD 123, and concerned the power struggle between Roman governor Aulus Paulinus (Jimmy Mulville) and the British chieftain, Badvoc (Rory McGrath).

Chelmsford 123






Then, I watched Monty Python’s 1979 film Monty Python’s Life of Brian which tells the story of Brian Cohen, a young Jewish man who is born on the same day as, and next door to, Jesus Christ and is subsequently mistaken for the Messiah. And in one of the sketches, Michael Palin who played a character called Pontius Pilate who can not pronounce his R’s, talk about his friend Biggus Dickus.

Monty Python Biggus Dickus




After watching Python, I looked at French comic book Astérix, written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Albert Uderzo. Basically the comics are set in Roman times in France and follows the journey of Asterix and Obelix.



And below I’ve found on YouTube the 1967 animation movie Astérix and the Gauls:

Astérix and the Gauls (1967)




Next, I looked at Bob Godfrey’s animation work, for more on the story, which includes animations such as Henry’s Cat and the DIY Cartoon Kit. Which, was quite funny lies in each of his animations.

Henry’s Cat



DIY Cartoon Kit – teaser




In part 2 of my research next time out the Fake Essex stuff.

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment